Friday, May 28, 2010

Net Ball? Yes, Net Ball

A month or so ago, a group of Australians gathered at Kapiolani Park near Waikiki Beach. What were they there for? Well, that is what I wanted to know as well. They were dressed in cheerleader type uniforms, but they carried balls that looked like volleyballs. Maybe they were volleyball cheerleaders? Nope. They were net ball players. What? Yea, net ball players. It is very popular in Australia, but me being on top of things rather than down under (I know, stupid joke), I did not have a clue it even existed. Here is what I found out. The sport is normally played on a wooden court. The Kapiolani games were played on grass. That is no big deal since the game is like basketball, only you cannot bounce the ball. Players with the ball need to keep a foot stationary as well. The basketball style nets were a little lower as well and they lacked a backboard. That makes it much harder to get the ball in the hoop.

While speaking with one of the coaches, they said that the team from Hawaii played outstanding and I think they even beat the Australians at their own game. Congratulations! I only had about ten minutes to get a couple of shots off (okay four shots), and here they are.

To return to the blog, click:
The Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment