Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Birthplace of Walmart, A Humble Beginning

Walmart is the largest employer in the world and even if you hate Walmart, it is worth study. Going to Bentonville, Arkansas was a lot different than I had expected. You would think a multinational company that raked in billions of dollars a year would have a magnificent building for their headquarters. I was so wrong. It was simply a large warehouse building. It even lacked windows like most warehouses. Wow, I was in disbelief. I could not even grab my camera to take a snapshot. It simply was just like any warehouse in America. Even the grave of the founder, Sam Walton, was pretty much a simple headstone and nothing more. You know, you hear the story of him riding around in an old truck even though he was worth a lot of money, and it really sinks in once you visit. Well, I did grab my camera for a fast picture of the original store of Sam Walton. Here she is. It is hard to imagine that the Walmart and Sam's Club empire that employs more people than any other business started in this mom and pop looking store. Like I said, it is worth some study.


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment